17 Jan Top 10 things you need to stop doing (so you can raise more money)
My inbox is full of “New Year’s Resolution” emails promising to help me lose weight, get fit, change my habits, save more money, or plan for my next amazing vacation.
I’m not going to do that.
I’m not going to talk about things you should do MORE of.
I’m going to talk about the things you need to do LESS of!
My courses may be all about fundraising and leadership, but at the end of the day, I focus on three things:
- Fundraising Mindset
- Productivity/Time Management/Project Management (or whatever you’d like to call it).
Top ten things that highly ineffective fundraisers do:
- Check their email constantly, ready to be the FIRST one that responds.
- Let the people around them determine their priorities for the week, month and quarter.
- Come to work with a “Why should I bother: fundraising is hard” mindset.
- Look for excuses for why they didn’t hit their financial goals, without making plans to do things differently the next month.
- Spend unrestricted time on Facebook and Social Media.
- Avoid making “power moves” that seems to “risky” or “out there” or “unattainable”.
- Spend time on activities not related to bringing in revenue…some of which will NEVER bring in revenue (have you ever seen revenue success from rewriting your Board agenda? I rest my case!)
- Let their most precious commodity—their time—be eaten by meetings that are too long, or not relevant to their files.
- Neglect their “reporting up” duties to share with their boss (or board) what they’re working on, and why.
- Become complacent by losing touch with the “fire in their belly” that drives their success.
Your Turn—ready, set, go!
Did you see yourself in the list above? What behaviours are you committing to STOPPING this year? Write it down, and post it on your computer monitor so that you have to look at it every day. Hold yourself accountable—tell your colleague your intentions, and ask them to follow up with you.
Forget resolutions. Let’s start a revolution—a revolution of LESS!!
Liked this post?
Scroll down this page to sign up for my e-newsletter to get posts delivered to your inbox. I deliver ideas, inspiration and practical tips about fundraising so you can raise more money, and be happier doing it!